
Bandits have released 37 villagers abducted from Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State after weeks of negotiations that led to a peace agreement, a lawmaker, Abdulraham Kandarawa, has said.
Kandarawa, who represents Bakori Constituency in the state House of Assembly, said on Friday that the latest release brought the number of freed villagers to 82.
He had earlier disclosed that 45 captives were freed under the same peace arrangement.
Speaking to journalists in Katsina, Kandarawa said the villagers, held in Sabe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, were released without ransom following sustained negotiations with the bandits.
“Today, through the grace of God, we have finally received our people who were held captive. Insha Allah, they are back, and none is left in their hands,” he said.
The released hostages include 17 women, two infants, and 18 men.
Kandarawa emphasised that the bandits had promised to release the captives if the community maintained peace, a commitment they fulfilled.
“We want to call on all citizens to embrace peace. It is everybody’s business. If we have offended anyone, we will amend, just to live in peace,” Kandarawa appealed, highlighting the negotiation’s foundation on promises of non-violence.
The lawmaker thanked the bandits for adhering to their word, stressing that no ransom was paid.
“This is what they promised, and they fulfilled it today,” he said.
However, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda has earlier denied negotiations with bandits while on several fora said it was purely a community initiative while he applauded the initiative as well celebrated the return of peace to the state through the truce.
Leave a comment