Home Business Ndume hails troops for rescuing 12 abducted Borno girls
Business

Ndume hails troops for rescuing 12 abducted Borno girls

Share
Share



Former Senate Leader and lawmaker representing Borno South, Senator Ali Ndume, has commended the Nigerian Army for rescuing 12 teenage girls abducted by Boko Haram/ISWAP fighters in Mussa District of Askira/Uba, Borno State.

His commendation was contained in a statement issued in Abuja on Sunday.

The girls, aged 15 to 20, were kidnapped a week ago while working on their family farms.

The Army said they were freed on Saturday after a “swift, intelligence-led operation” by troops of Operation HADIN KAI. The victims have been taken to a secure facility for medical checks.

Ndume, a former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army, praised the troops for their “gallantry” and resilience despite the challenges facing them in the North-East.

He said, “Over the weekend, men of the Nigerian Army in theatre operation in Borno State achieved another landmark military exercise with the successful rescue operation of all the 12 abducted teenagers who had been in captivity.

“That successful operation was another significant statement on professionalism and selflessness.

“I will continue to appeal to the sense of patriotism of men of the Nigerian Army to remain determined to destroy evil forces, driven by vain glorification to cow the rest of us.”

The senator further called on the Federal Government to give priority to adequate funding of the military and review their remuneration to boost morale.

Ndume’s reaction comes four days after the Senate recommended a death penalty for convicted kidnappers, describing abduction as a form of terrorism.

The resolution followed the November 18 attack on Christ Apostolic Church, Eruku, in Kwara State, where gunmen killed two worshippers and abducted 38 others.

Although all the victims were later rescued, senators said the incident reflected the spread of insurgent activities into rural communities.

The motion, sponsored by Senator Yisa Ashiru (Kwara South), also highlighted rising attacks on schools, highways and worship centres.

The legislators warned that repeated school abductions had forced the closure of schools in parts of Kebbi, Niger and Kwara states, as well as all 47 Federal Unity Colleges nationwide.



Source link

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Gunmen attack Kogi church, abduct pastor, wife, worshippers

The Kogi State Government has confirmed the early Sunday morning attack on...

Ondo Amotekun begins recruitment for its fifth batch

The Ondo State Security Network Agency, also known as the Amotekun Corps,...

Troops rescue seven kidnap victims in Kano community

Troops of the Operation MESA under the 3 Brigade Nigerian Army have...

NAF airstrikes destroy terror hideouts in Borno & Katsina

The Nigerian Air Force has recorded major operational gains with a series...