Home Politics 2027: Atiku Urges INEC To Shift Feb 20 Poll Over Ramadan
Politics

2027: Atiku Urges INEC To Shift Feb 20 Poll Over Ramadan

Share
Share


Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has asked the Independent National Electoral Commission to reconsider its decision to hold the 2027 presidential election on February 20, citing a clash with the Ramadan fasting period.

INEC had on Friday fixed February 20, 2027, for the presidential and National Assembly elections, with governorship and state Houses of Assembly polls scheduled to hold later.

But reacting in a statement posted on his verified Facebook page late Friday, Atiku said the proposed date falls within Ramadan, expected to run from February 7 to March 8, 2027, describing the development as insensitive in a multi-religious country like Nigeria.

“The Independent National Electoral Commission must urgently reconsider the February 20, 2027 date it has announced for the general elections,” he said.

“That date falls squarely within the Ramadan period, a sacred season of fasting, reflection, and spiritual devotion for millions of Nigerian Muslims.”

The 2023 presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party argued that elections require “maximum participation, physical endurance, and collective focus,” which, according to him, may be adversely affected by the religious observance.

He stated that fixing a major national exercise in the middle of a significant religious period reflects poor judgment and a lack of sensitivity to Nigeria’s socio-religious realities.

“In a diverse country like Nigeria, inclusive planning is not optional; it is fundamental. Something as basic as choosing a broadly acceptable date should not be mishandled. It speaks to competence, foresight and respect for citizens,” Atiku added.

He further questioned the electoral body’s preparedness to conduct credible polls, saying Nigerians deserved assurances that the 2027 elections would be free, fair and transparent.

“If INEC struggles with getting a simple matter of timing right, Nigerians are justified in asking what assurance we have that it will competently deliver free, fair and credible elections in 2027,” he said.

As of the time of filing this report, INEC had yet to officially respond to the former vice president’s concerns.

The commission had earlier said the early release of the timetable was to enable political parties and stakeholders to prepare adequately for the polls.

Pelican Valley
Pelican Valley

Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com

We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE

Pelican Valley



Source link

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Ogun Monarch Backs Iyabo Obasanjo’s Governorship Bid, Demands More Space For Women

Oba Akintunde Akinyemi, the Eselu of Iselu Kingdom in Yewa North Local...

How Jonathan, I Risked Our Lives To Secure Niger Delta Amnesty — Orubebe

Former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Elder Godsday Orubebe, has revealed the...

Ogun APC Ward Congress: Stakeholders Kick as Party Insists Exercise Was Peaceful

Daud Olatunji Fresh cracks have emerged within the All Progressives Congress in...

Ex-CBN Deputy Governor, Lemo, Declares Interest In Ogun 2027 Governorship Race

Ayomide Awe A former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria,...