Home Business 33 feared dead in Plateau mine explosion at Wase
Business

33 feared dead in Plateau mine explosion at Wase

Share
Share



An explosion has reportedly killed 33 persons at a mining site in Kampani Zurak, Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The state Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mrs Joyce Ramnap, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Jos, the state capital.

The commissioner, who commiserated with the families who lost their loved ones, said the injured were currently receiving treatment at hospitals.

“The Plateau Government received with deep shock and profound sadness reports of a tragic explosion at a mining site in Kampani Zurak, reportedly owned by Solid Unit Nig. Ltd.

“Preliminary information has it that 33 persons were said to have been inside the mining tunnel at the time of the explosion.

“Others who sustained injuries are currently receiving treatment in nearby hospitals.

“Government is deeply concerned about the development and is working closely with relevant security agencies, emergency responders and health authorities to ensure that the situation is brought under control,” she said.

The commissioner, however, called on residents of the community to remain calm and law-abiding.

Earlier this month, in another local government, the Chairman of Bokkos LGA, Amalau Samuel Amalau, ordered the immediate suspension of all mining activities—both legal and illegal—across the council.

The measures followed a series of deadly assaults on local miners, which reportedly led to the killing of youths by gunmen suspected to be militias.

On January 22, PUNCH Online reported that gunmen attacked a mining site in the Kuru community, Jos South Local Government Area, killing seven people.

Similarly, on December 17, PUNCH reported a tragic incident in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area, where 12 people were killed at night by suspected militia members. The incident reportedly occurred at a mining site in the Ratoso Fan community of the council area.

(NAN)



Source link

Share

Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Kogi schools to reopen Monday after security threats

The Kogi Ministry of Education has confirmed the resumption of schools as...

Mirabel TikToker Discharged, Held for Investigation: Police

The Ogun State Police Command has said that Mirabel, the TikTok user...

Anambra man elected in Gombe APC ward poll

An Igbo businessman from Anambra State, Edwin Chukwujeku, on Friday emerged as...

Many pilgrims may miss 2026 Hajj after portal closure, NAHCON warns

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has said that many intending pilgrims...