Commuters travelling along the Ilorin–Igbeti Federal Highway in Kwara State were left stranded on Monday after heavy flooding overtook the collapsed Moro Bridge, submerging vehicles and disrupting movement across the busy interstate route.
The PUNCH gathered that the incident followed an overnight downpour that caused the Moro River to overflow its banks, leaving several vehicles trapped in floodwaters, while desperate passengers reportedly climbed onto car roofs awaiting rescue.
The affected bridge, located between Oko-Olowo/Mandala in Ilorin West and Asa local government areas, had earlier collapsed on April 30 after a heavy-duty articulated truck reportedly passed over the aging structure.

The collapse had already cut off a major transport link connecting Kwara State to neighbouring Oyo State and onward routes towards the Benin Republic border.
Monday’s flooding further worsened the situation, as the temporary diversion promised by the state government after the bridge collapse was yet to be completed.
Video footage obtained by The PUNCH from the scene showed vehicles partially submerged in the overflowing river, while stranded commuters struggled to navigate the flooded passage.
Residents and motorists expressed frustration over the prolonged delay in completing emergency intervention works at the site, warning that the situation could become more dangerous as the rainy season intensifies.
A trader identified simply as Kafayat lamented the impact of the incident on economic activities in the area.
“This development has negatively affected economic activities, causing delays and increasing the cost of transportation for commuters and businesses,” she said.
Some residents also questioned why an alternative bridge project located beside the collapsed structure had remained abandoned for several years.
The worsening condition has heightened fears among communities around the Moro River axis, especially with peak rainfall months still ahead.
Residents warned that more severe flooding could occur in July and August if urgent measures are not taken to restore safe passage across the river.
Following the initial collapse of the bridge in April, the Kwara State Government had announced traffic diversion measures and promised immediate intervention to ease the hardship faced by commuters.

The Commissioner for Works, Engr. Abdulquawiy Olododo, had said the government was working with federal authorities to address the situation.
“The Kwara State Government is working with federal authorities to immediately divert traffic following the collapse of the Moro Bridge overnight,” the commissioner had stated.
“The collapse occurred in the early hours after a heavy-duty truck passed over the bridge, resulting in a major disruption along the route,” he added.
Olododo also disclosed that engineers had been mobilised to begin palliative work on alternative routes to reduce traffic congestion and hardship for road users.
He further assured residents that construction was ongoing on a new Moro Bridge located a few metres away from the collapsed structure.
Despite the assurances, Monday’s flooding has now intensified public concern over the safety of commuters and the pace of response at the site.
The Moro Bridge, a colonial-era Bailey bridge, has for decades served as a critical crossing point linking parts of Kwara and Oyo states, although the structure has repeatedly undergone rehabilitation due to persistent structural defects.
Leave a comment