From Isaac Anumihe, Abuja
Two suspects have been arrested in connection with the vandalism of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) Towers T15, T16, and T17 along the Nkalagu–Abakaliki 132kV single circuit transmission line.
In a statement on Tuesday, General Manager, Public Affairs,Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), Ndidi Mbah, said that the suspects, identified as Obinna Nweke and Monday Ezike, are both indigenes of the Ezza Umuhuali Community in Ishielu Local Government Area of Ebonyi State. They were apprehended by local youths and members of a vigilance group acting on a tip-off.
Mbah stated that preliminary investigations at the scene established that structural tower members valued at billions of naira were systematically removed from the affected towers and allegedly sold to illicit scrap metal dealers. Further investigations revealed that the criminal activity had been ongoing from January 2026 until the suspects’ apprehension.
According to Mbah, the suspects were subsequently handed over to the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) at Ishielu Police Station, Ntezi, and have since been formally charged before the Ebonyi State High Court. While the two principal suspects are currently in custody, investigations are ongoing to identify and apprehend the remaining accomplices believed to still be at large.
“TCN strongly condemns this act of economic sabotage, which not only constitutes a grievous assault on national infrastructure but also undermines the stability of electricity supply to Ebonyi State and surrounding communities.
“We commend the vigilance and swift action of the Ezza Umuhuali youths and vigilance group in bringing these suspects to justice. TCN further urges host communities across the country to remain alert and to promptly report any suspicious activity around high-voltage transmission installations to the nearest security agency or TCN office,” TCN said.
Leave a comment